IR Southern Zone - Discussion
Forum For Rail fans with Discussions regarding various activities in Indian Railways(Mainly Southern Zone). NOTE: This site is not officially affiliated with Indian Railways.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Kanniyakumari - H Nizamuddin Thirukkural Express (Bi-weekly)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IR Southern Zone - Discussion Forum Index -> -> Operations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
srirangam99

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

But Prasad and Jegan,

while indeed the extension of frequency is well-deserved for Thirukkural, what it indeed has done is prevent any further extension of frequency for both Thirukkural and MDU SK since the other 3 days of operation are for 2708/07.

Either TPTY-NZM SK or both 2642/2652 have to vacate the 7.20 am slot.

In fact it presents a brilliant opportunity. If Thirukkural and MDU SK have to be slotted in the 7.20 am slot ONLY, then 2708 has a great chance at extension of frequency to at least 5 days per week in case it gets shifted to the departure slot of 22404 which was preferred by me for 2642 and 2652. Shifting those MDU/CAPE-bounds would have meant a day run for both between MS-MDU/CAPE. Let AP SK benefit for it can arrive at TPTY in the morning with this shift in operating slots, if grabbed. May be Prasad can pass on this suggestion to SCR authorities.

mahavmsrt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Tatkal Quota has been increased from 45 to 72 with effect from 3-3-2013..

I think this quota increase due to frequency increase Weekly to Bi-Weekly with augmentation of some extra coaches.

Hope Thirukurral will run as Bi-Weekly Exp from March 1st Week as per the below Tatkal Quota change...

You Queried For
Train Number Train Name Date
(DD-MM-YYYY) Source Station Destination Station Quota Code
12642 THIRUKKURAL EXP 03-02-2013 CHENNAI EGMORE KANYAKUMARI TATKAL

S.No. Date (DD-MM-YYYY) Class - SL Class -3A

1 10- 2-2013 AVAILABLE 45 AVAILABLE 20

2 17- 2-2013 AVAILABLE 45 AVAILABLE 20

3 24- 2-2013 AVAILABLE 45 AVAILABLE 20

4 3- 3-2013 AVAILABLE 72 AVAILABLE 32

5 10- 3-2013 AVAILABLE 72 AVAILABLE 32

Cheers,
Mahendran
srirangam99

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Hi Mahu,

I hope your wish about frequency extension of Thirukkural comes true.

Actually, of course, I did point this out earlier also, the departure and arr. slots of 22403/04 are open for five days (because from Chennai 14259 shares the departure slot once a week).

So, in case the SR and IR want, 2641/42 can even shift to the night departure and morning arrival slot as a tri-weekly even or as a biweekly, and the 2651/52 which shares its route/path can also move in to the same departure and arr. slots (either as a triweekly or as a biweekly).

In case VSP is reading this, I am sure he would like to comment.

mahavmsrt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Hi Srini,
srirangam99 wrote:
Hi Mahu,

I hope your wish about frequency extension of Thirukkural comes true.

Actually, of course, I did point this out earlier also, the departure and arr. slots of 22403/04 are open for five days (because from Chennai 14259 shares the departure slot once a week).

So, in case the SR and IR want, 2641/42 can even shift to the night departure and morning arrival slot as a tri-weekly even or as a biweekly, and the 2651/52 which shares its route/path can also move in to the same departure and arr. slots (either as a triweekly or as a biweekly).

In case VSP is reading this, I am sure he would like to comment.

I am supporting for Depart/Arrival Change in both points but should not be PDY - NDLS slot because PDY - NDLS is slow train than Thirukkural/TNSK and extra 4 hours..

If suppose you want to change Thirukkural slot to PDY - NDLS slot then it needs to increase the speed equal to Existing hours of Thirukkural..

Cheers,
Mahendran
srirangam99

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

No Mahendran,

I only proposed the same dep. arr. slots for the up and down Thirukkural and MDU SK. But other than 'maintaining' departure/arr. timings these trains can obviously and will (I am sure, in case their slots are changed) run faster than NDLS-PDY.

Seems a very juicy proposition: 44 hrs. between NDLS/NZM-MDU means arrival MDU by 7.30 pm in the evening that means a day run in TN. In the return, just as you feel both should be faster than 22403, the SK can depart after Vaigai from MDU at about 9 am, reach NZM by 4 am on the third day - a run of 43 hrs. approx. which will be wonderful.

But you know (people might even feel this is controversial) - as regards operational matters, I even prefer both MDU SK and Thirukkural skipping MS but taking the GDR-RU (not TPTY)-AJJ route (the same between RU-AJJ-CJ-CGL taken by 1043 and 6351 Balaji). At present I desisting from proposing one of these two trains to run via the KPD-Tirukoilur-VM sector. Let both these trains not avoid the entire CGL-MDU/CAPE sector.

srirangam99

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yes, as you propose, even the faster running of 22403/04 equal to Thirukkural and MDU SK is most welcome.
suganthan_varadarajan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

After long years our family planned pongal celebration in my home town Trichy. I prefered a direct train from BPL to TPJ and booked our tickets in 3A in tirukural on 12th Jan from BPL.
The train was late 2hrs in BPL due to foggy condition in north india.
Finally arrived at 19.40 (scheduled time is 17.50). Over night it made up one hours and reached BPQ 1hr behind schedule, manintained 1 hrs late delay till BZA due unschedule stops.
After BZA till GDR - non stop run zeroed on to right time at MS 18.05 left 18.30, left VM 21.50 hrs left VRI 22.50 hrs. Thinking that its going to delay in CL due crossing.
xxed MAQ exp in ALU - not sure
only stoppage was for Rockfort cross in KLGM (10 min)
xxed pandiyan in LLI
Nellai waiting at TPJ in PF 1
WAP4 leading all the 5 trains.
Reached TPJ 0.30 hrs 15min before time.

The train was packed till MS, but some seat were free after MS - atleast 20 people boarded B2 coach for south TN at MS.
Pantry in this train is totally useless they bring tea/coffee ones in the morning and evening, but we argued with them and secured one more round each in the morning and evening.
srirangam99

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Hi Suganthan,

nice report, and very pertinent observations, especially in the light of my view that both Thirukkural and TN SK can skip MS.

The main reason that seats in this train after MS become relaxed is due to the fact that (possibly due to quota regime, but more than that) because of SL classes, it is not exactly suitable for the good number of short distance passengers who might like to travel max. between MS-VM/VRI because beyond these stations, especially given its slower run in the MS-MDU sector, it invariably ends up reaching/covering stations between VRI-MDU late at night, which also makes it unattractive for TPJ-DG bound passengers. In any case it has a 9.15 hr. run between Chennai and MDU, leaving MS by 6.30 pm. In contrast, a Nellai, Pandyan or even a Muthunagar is quite good for DG-MDU and beyond-bound passengers as these sectors are covered at convenient morning hours.

Your observation about catering services in Thirukkural is quite eye opening. Strangely though I did travel in AC sleeper (have forgotten if it was 2AC or 3AC!!!) Surprised Surprised Surprised and I for one was left with quite pleasant memories. The food loaded in MS itself or cooked in the train itself was of good quality, and I for one thought that the coffee served in the train (certainly at least once in 90 mts. or so, was quite refreshing and strong - I may add that the best-ever coffee I have had is ONLY in 2723 A.P. Express - but I concede straightaway that this was in 1992-93 - when there was no "contract conundrum" that is ruling the roost nowadays). I possibly ate my first meal that I had brought from home (may be paranthas with chatni after which I possibly dosed off). I started with dinner (loaded from BZA or WL) and I think the next day's lunch was loaded at JHS about which also I do not have any bitter memories - but I suspect -because you also cannot be wrong- that may be the catering guys were a little partial towards AC passengers.

Whatever, may be the catering facilities in not just Thirukkural, but even the MDU SK could be deficient mainly because these trains are running with PCs, but are running only once and twice a week respectively. A daily service means deficient service complaints would be regular and force the authorities to respond, and I fear that in the case of these weeklies, the pleas are falling on deaf ears!!!

But one thing about this train and MDU SK passing through SK. Technically at least, their halting at MS at 6.05 pm is quite timely, because not just MS-TPJ and ML-bound pax can conveniently change over (that too with through-ticket/telescopic rate facility) at MS/MAS, but this train in a way suits even SA-ED-CBE-PGT bound passengers as it facilitates convenient changeovers to trains like Kamban, Boat Mail for ML, then a plethora of trains like the Mail/Kaveri for Bangalore, Cheran/Nilagiri for ED-CBE, Yercaud, MAQ Mail and 6041 for PGT-Kochi-Alappuzha. In a way, this train's main highlight is that most connections named above are starting at least 90 mts. after this train reaches MS, and it is also known to get good priority (because on the return to NZM, it is as fast as TN) and reaches Chennai maximum 20/30 mts late, even if delayed. So there is ample time either to wait for the connecting train at MS or even head for MAS by an auto, which is a very short journey.

Of course, thinking that Kerala-bound pax might take it is a little far-fetched, most guys are known to take Kerala Exp. (or Mangala) for some direct journeys, with Alappuzha sector pax preferring to change at Ernakulam.

suganthan_varadarajan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Generally i preffer TN, GT, JP Exp to MAS and from MAS (rarely use GR or Raj).
I took Tirukural due to simply reason to reach TPJ without any change of train at MS or ED.

Pantry is useless - not refering food quality but frequency of service.
Pantry operate only on set timmings. Generally this is not the case with TN, GT or JP, we can get tea/coffee 20 - 25 times a day compare that with 2 or 4 times a day.
Unfortunatly i didn't bring enough food, so i had to buy food @ WL, BZA, MS. The pantry food also came very late due to late running till BZA.
Moreover Tea and Coffee is consumed by every pass in train so it should be served frequently.
This should n't be a big deal for trains that has mobile pantry.
pravkumar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

What I feel is that this Thirukkural express must be made as a daily train to be operated mostly in the present timing itself.
Krishnaswamy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

it is yet to be made as bi-weekly right?
pravkumar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yes, it is yet to be made as bi-weekly but at the same point of time this train deserves to be operated daily because of the ever increasing patronage.
mahavmsrt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

pravkumar wrote:
What I feel is that this Thirukkural express must be made as a daily train to be operated mostly in the present timing itself.

Yes..Thirukkural Exp should be increased the frequency to daily and without changing the present timing..

Due to Thirukkural Daily Exp, TN SK can change the slot as below once DG - CGL Doubling completed,

MDU - 05.30
TPJ - 07.45
VM - 10.15
MS - 12.45 Arr
MS - 01.00 Dep
NZM -21.30

Return Direction can leave before Tamilnadu exp Slot with speeded up,

NZM - 22.00
MS - 06.30 Arr
MS - 06.45 Dep
MDU - 15.00

Cheers,
Mahendran
srirangam99

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

But I proposed changes in timings of 2642 and 2652 because (both-ways, these trains have a largely night time run in Tamil Nadu, yes, barring the CAPE-VPT sector for Thirukkural. You see, even at MDU 2641 has a departure time of 11.45 pm.

Then of course, again both ways, the VM-TPJ-DG sector, (271-odd kms. long) is also covered only late at night by both 2641/42 and 2651/52. A night departure at Delhi (same as that of 22403 and a morning departure from CAPE and 8 or 9 am departure from MDU (for SK) will ensure a day run in both directions for this pair. That is the point I sought to make.

mahavmsrt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

srirangam99 wrote:
But I proposed changes in timings of 2642 and 2652 because (both-ways, these trains have a largely night time run in Tamil Nadu, yes, barring the CAPE-VPT sector for Thirukkural. You see, even at MDU 2641 has a departure time of 11.45 pm.

Then of course, again both ways, the VM-TPJ-DG sector, (271-odd kms. long) is also covered only late at night by both 2641/42 and 2651/52. A night departure at Delhi (same as that of 22403 and a morning departure from CAPE and 8 or 9 am departure from MDU (for SK) will ensure a day run in both directions for this pair. That is the point I sought to make.

Yes..As you said Thirukkural is comfortable timing from CAPE to MDU in both directions..

But from DG to CGL timing is not good in both directions, so that i said TN SK timing as below,

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:58 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pravkumar wrote:

Yes..Thirukkural Exp should be increased the frequency to daily and without changing the present timing..

Due to Thirukkural Daily Exp, TN SK can change the slot as below once DG - CGL Doubling completed,

MDU - 05.30
TPJ - 07.45
VM - 10.15
MS - 12.45 Arr
MS - 01.00 Dep
NZM -21.30

Return Direction can leave before Tamilnadu exp Slot with speeded up,

NZM - 22.00
MS - 06.30 Arr
MS - 06.45 Dep
MDU - 15.00

The above timing is good for DG - CGL peoples in both directions...They can reach NDLS with full night only..

Cheers,
Mahendran
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IR Southern Zone - Discussion Forum Index -> -> Operations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 20, 21, 22  Next