IR Southern Zone - Discussion
Forum For Rail fans with Discussions regarding various activities in Indian Railways(Mainly Southern Zone). NOTE: This site is not officially affiliated with Indian Railways.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Log inLog in 

GE Evolution series and Marhaura Factory

 
 Topic Tags 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IR Southern Zone - Discussion Forum Index -> -> Project Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
digiviz



Joined: 21 Aug 2015

Posts: 114
Location: MAS / CLT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: GE Evolution series and Marhaura Factory If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

The first of 1 000 Evolution Series diesel locomotives which GE Transportation is to supply to Indian Railways over 10 years was unveiled at the manufacturer’s plant at Erie in the USA on June 1.

GE Transportation is to supply 700 locos of 4 500 hp and 300 of 6 000 hp under a US$2·6bn joint venture agreement signed with the Ministry of Railways in November 2015, the largest contract ever won by GE in India. They will have Tier 1 GEVO engines.

The first 100 of the twin-cab 1 676 mm gauge locos locomotives are to be exported from the USA complete or in kit form. To meet the requirement for local production under the government’s Make in India programme, the other 900 are to produced with mainly Indian components at a factory which GE is building at Marhowra in Bihar. This is expected to be completed later this year, and will produce two locomotives per week for the current contract.



The livery planned for Indian railway.


Interestingly there is Hubli WDG4 12086 which has been repainted in similar looking livery, may be they got inspired by the new livery as revealed by GE

Source: http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/single-view/view/ge-transportation-unveils-indian-railways-evolution-locomotive.html


Note to moderator: If this topic is not relevant kindly move to relevant threads, Thanks.
_________________
Vipin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
digiviz



Joined: 21 Aug 2015

Posts: 114
Location: MAS / CLT

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

More photos.







Source:http://www.financialexpress.com/photos/business-gallery/723332/indian-railways-ge-locomotives-make-in-india-features-highlights/2/
_________________
Vipin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
digiviz



Joined: 21 Aug 2015

Posts: 114
Location: MAS / CLT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Some videos, of the engine designed for IR being tested on a standard guage track.


Link


Link


Link

_________________
Vipin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
digiviz



Joined: 21 Aug 2015

Posts: 114
Location: MAS / CLT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote


Link

Latest video of engines under testing
_________________
Vipin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
digiviz



Joined: 21 Aug 2015

Posts: 114
Location: MAS / CLT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

The first of the new GE made loco has been shipped to India.



There is also message on WAG12 (Alstom Prima class locomotive) on elocos requesting nomination for training on WAG12

"Training of LPs & LIs for WAG-12 electric loco - Nomination of staff"
_________________
Vipin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
srirangam99



Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Age: 54

Posts: 3960


PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Hi Vipin,

My only doubt is that when (as other youtube videos state) the P7s themselves have 6850 HP - and because of that we should be going for higher powered as well as better gear ratio locos, what is the charm in going for a 4500 HP loco in EMDs??? Isn't that a retrograde step??

_________________
N.Srinivasan
New Delhi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
digiviz



Joined: 21 Aug 2015

Posts: 114
Location: MAS / CLT

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

srirangam99 wrote:
Hi Vipin,

My only doubt is that when (as other youtube videos state) the P7s themselves have 6850 HP - and because of that we should be going for higher powered as well as better gear ratio locos, what is the charm in going for a 4500 HP loco in EMDs??? Isn't that a retrograde step??


P7 is 6350 HP, WAG9 is 6120 HP, WAG12 (Alstom Prima) would be a 12000 HP locomotive. CLW is also raised a request for 9000 HP WAG9 design.

From GE we are getting two types of loco 4500 (700 locos) variant as well as 6000 HP (300 locos) variant diesel electric loco. Reason quoted for new loco from GE than current EMD is better fuel efficiency and emissions as well as probably other technology changes in new generation locomotive. Not sure about other things like axle weight etc.
_________________
Vipin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
srirangam99



Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Age: 54

Posts: 3960


PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Oh nice feedback Vipin.

Left to me, seeing the IR's inclination to move towards LHB technology which has coaches capable of achieving up to 200-250 kmph (toned down at present to 160 kmph, and also despite fabouring speedier electrification, which will leave for some time, at least, a heady mix of electrified and non-electrified tracks, instead of the order of just 300 nos. 6000 HP diesel electrics, I would go in for anywhere between 1500-2000, even while reducing the number of other varieties.

This option would have resulted in trains like those on the Konkan or those trains running on diesel after SC or BRC (examples are TVC Rajdhani,DDN-KCVL/ Kerala SK/12484, SBC Rajdhani plus others like TEN portion of Himsagar-Navayug or MDU portions of 12687/22687 can be hauled end to end by a single diesel-electric.

Yes, the locos might initially cost more, but this kind of expenditure is worth it because, if we assume the average of such locos to be 25-odd years, then the mixed gauge operation constraints of IR can be comfortably dealt with till 2045-50, is it not?

Still, I hope as in the case of ABBs and EMDs, IR keeps provision for transfer of technology of these future gen locos.

_________________
N.Srinivasan
New Delhi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
digiviz



Joined: 21 Aug 2015

Posts: 114
Location: MAS / CLT

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

srirangam99 wrote:
Oh nice feedback Vipin.

Left to me, seeing the IR's inclination to move towards LHB technology which has coaches capable of achieving up to 200-250 kmph (toned down at present to 160 kmph, and also despite fabouring speedier electrification, which will leave for some time, at least, a heady mix of electrified and non-electrified tracks, instead of the order of just 300 nos. 6000 HP diesel electrics, I would go in for anywhere between 1500-2000, even while reducing the number of other varieties.

This option would have resulted in trains like those on the Konkan or those trains running on diesel after SC or BRC (examples are TVC Rajdhani,DDN-KCVL/ Kerala SK/12484, SBC Rajdhani plus others like TEN portion of Himsagar-Navayug or MDU portions of 12687/22687 can be hauled end to end by a single diesel-electric.

Yes, the locos might initially cost more, but this kind of expenditure is worth it because, if we assume the average of such locos to be 25-odd years, then the mixed gauge operation constraints of IR can be comfortably dealt with till 2045-50, is it not?

Still, I hope as in the case of ABBs and EMDs, IR keeps provision for transfer of technology of these future gen locos.


From what i see these loco's are all freight specific locomotives, considering that konkan electrification and patch doubling is also in progress i am wondering which are the major diesel sections, these would be deployed in.

There is few other interesting project which might interest you.

- DLW these days manufacture electric loco, they have built few WAP7 recently.
- There is also this project i am not sure if its at DLW or CLW where they plan to manufacture loco that could use electric traction as well as operate in Diesel electric mode. this would be mostly useful for konkan kind of stretch (again since this would be kind of pilot to see how it works out operationaly)

On LHB high speed operation, i believe normal non-ac sleeper variant would always be limited to 110-130 kmph due to aerodynamic drag associated with open windows / passenger experience related to that.

There is also this project which ICF is working on where they are trying to develop train sets, similar to EMU for long distance (medium speed operation, could be targeted at MAS-SBC shatabadi kind of operation), since EMU can accelerate decelerate much faster. Whether the recent MoU with Swiss on tilting train is related to this i am not sure.
_________________
Vipin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bganesh



Joined: 10 Sep 2008

Posts: 434
Location: Lake Gardens, Calcutta; Suttamalli (TEN dist)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

digiviz wrote:
srirangam99 wrote:
Oh nice feedback Vipin.

Left to me, seeing the IR's inclination to move towards LHB technology which has coaches capable of achieving up to 200-250 kmph (toned down at present to 160 kmph, and also despite fabouring speedier electrification, which will leave for some time, at least, a heady mix of electrified and non-electrified tracks, instead of the order of just 300 nos. 6000 HP diesel electrics, I would go in for anywhere between 1500-2000, even while reducing the number of other varieties.

This option would have resulted in trains like those on the Konkan or those trains running on diesel after SC or BRC (examples are TVC Rajdhani,DDN-KCVL/ Kerala SK/12484, SBC Rajdhani plus others like TEN portion of Himsagar-Navayug or MDU portions of 12687/22687 can be hauled end to end by a single diesel-electric.

Yes, the locos might initially cost more, but this kind of expenditure is worth it because, if we assume the average of such locos to be 25-odd years, then the mixed gauge operation constraints of IR can be comfortably dealt with till 2045-50, is it not?

Still, I hope as in the case of ABBs and EMDs, IR keeps provision for transfer of technology of these future gen locos.


From what i see these loco's are all freight specific locomotives, considering that konkan electrification and patch doubling is also in progress i am wondering which are the major diesel sections, these would be deployed in.

There is few other interesting project which might interest you.

- DLW these days manufacture electric loco, they have built few WAP7 recently.
- There is also this project i am not sure if its at DLW or CLW where they plan to manufacture loco that could use electric traction as well as operate in Diesel electric mode. this would be mostly useful for konkan kind of stretch (again since this would be kind of pilot to see how it works out operationaly)

On LHB high speed operation, i believe normal non-ac sleeper variant would always be limited to 110-130 kmph due to aerodynamic drag associated with open windows / passenger experience related to that.

There is also this project which ICF is working on where they are trying to develop train sets, similar to EMU for long distance (medium speed operation, could be targeted at MAS-SBC shatabadi kind of operation), since EMU can accelerate decelerate much faster. Whether the recent MoU with Swiss on tilting train is related to this i am not sure.


There is news in WA groups that DLW will stop manufacturing dlocos by next year and take up assembling elocos fullfledgedly.
_________________
Ganesh Iyer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
srirangam99



Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Age: 54

Posts: 3960


PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Ganesh, the news also means that the Marhaura factory will leave GM with monopoly manufacturing of next gen locos which will leave minimum scope for technology transfer of both high HP locos as well as the diesel electrics.

Sad scenario!!!
_________________
N.Srinivasan
New Delhi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
digiviz



Joined: 21 Aug 2015

Posts: 114
Location: MAS / CLT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

srirangam99 wrote:
Ganesh, the news also means that the Marhaura factory will leave GM with monopoly manufacturing of next gen locos which will leave minimum scope for technology transfer of both high HP locos as well as the diesel electrics.

Sad scenario!!!


Sir,

this news article may interest you, railways is looking at option of scrapping or reducing the extend of diesel factory planned with GE since railways is any way looking at electric loco as the future.

http://m.ndtv.com/india-news/bihar-may-lose-biggest-make-in-india-project-nitish-kumar-seeks-a-meet-1751984?pfrom=home-topstories
_________________
Vipin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
srirangam99



Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Age: 54

Posts: 3960


PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

not electric loco as the future, that may be in a few zones. But I think broadly given the mixed traction scenario on most of IR, electro-diesels (mixed traction) even if expensive initially seem to be the best bet, provide IR goes in for rapid indigenization.
_________________
N.Srinivasan
New Delhi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
digiviz



Joined: 21 Aug 2015

Posts: 114
Location: MAS / CLT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

INDIA: The first bodyshell for the fleet of 800 WAG12 twin-section electric locomotives which Alstom is to supply to Indian Railways was unloaded at Haldia in the Port of Kolkata on September 20, ready for delivery to the factory at Madhepura where the fleet will be assembled.

In November 2015 the Ministry of Railways selected Alstom for a contract to supply the electric locomotives from a factory to be built by a joint venture of the manufacturer and Indian Railways (26%). Deliveries are scheduled for 2018-28.

The contract allows for the first five locomotives to be imported, but the remaining 795 are to be manufactured locally in support of the government’s Make in India campaign.

The 9 MW locomotives with a maximum speed of 120 km/h will be a development of Alstom’s Prima family that includes locomotives supplied to Kazakhstan, with modifications to suit Indian requirements. They will be equipped with ABB transformers and Knorr-Bremse braking systems.

Indian Railways intends to use the locomotives to haul 6 000 tonne trains at 100 km/h on the Eastern Dedicated Freight Corridor, and on other routes to raise the average speed of heavy freight trains from between 25 and 30 km/h to between 50 and 60 km/h.

Separately, GE Transportation has a similar deal to supply diesel locomotives for Indian Railways.







_________________
Vipin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IR Southern Zone - Discussion Forum Index -> -> Project Updates
All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


© 2007 Informe.com. Get Your Own Free Portal.
Powered by phpBB © 2001 - 2005 phpBB Group
Theme ACID v. 2.0.18 par HEDONISM